Start each morning with The Pulse in your inbox. Sign up here.
Good morning! One extra day to crush that 2022 decision. You bought this.
While You Were Sleeping
Dallas survives Tennessee entice
The Cowboys had been coming off an enormous win, lacking a number of key gamers and visiting a Titans crew preventing for a playoff spot. The setting was ripe for a entice recreation, particularly after Dak Prescott threw a number of first-half picks.
And then the second half hit and issues clicked. Prescott tossed a pair of touchdowns and the protection did what it was alleged to towards a quarterback making his first profession begin. 27-13, Dallas. Now 12-4.
Meanwhile, can we discuss this Tennessee mess? Six weeks in the past the crew was 7-3 and dreaming of a playoff bye week. Six straight losses and two beginning quarterbacks later, they’re 7-9 and preventing for a postseason spot subsequent week. How did we get right here?
- Rookie Malik Willis was supposed to maintain the ship afloat after Ryan Tannehill went down, however he’s been terrible, frankly.
- Josh Dobbs, a fourth-round decide in 2017, had by no means began a recreation earlier than final evening and signed with Tennessee final week.
After 232 yards, a landing and a a lot smoother-looking offense, it’s to be assumed Dobbs can be beginning subsequent week in a winner-takes-all showdown with the Jaguars. Right?
Global soccer misplaced considered one of its largest icons yesterday as Pelé died at age 82.
He is Brazil’s joint all-time main goalscorer (alongside Neymar), with 77 targets in 92 worldwide video games. He is the one participant to win three World Cups — in 1958, 1962 and 1970. In 1999, he was named Athlete of the Century by the International Olympic Committee.
It’s a matter of opinion whether or not Pelé was the best soccer participant ever, however there’s little doubt he was the greatest in the history of the World Cup, Michael Cox writes.
Tributes poured in from just about each nook of the universe in honor of his otherworldly talent. The Athletic is tracking remembrances from gamers, managers, groups, leagues and so many extra.
Setting up tomorrow’s video games
A chaotic convention championship weekend shook up the fourth spot, letting Ohio State slip into its fifth College Football Playoff bracket for the reason that format started in 2015. The Buckeyes be a part of Georgia, Michigan and TCU. Here’s when to observe Saturday evening:
The countdown to a 12-team playoff is certainly on, however right here within the four-team period, let’s admire the underdogs. Five of the format’s eight championship video games have featured a No. 3 or No. 4 seed, together with 2018’s legendary battle when No. 4 Alabama topped No. 3 Georgia in additional time.
Ohio State has historical past on its facet. In the inaugural playoff, the 2015 No. 4 seed Buckeyes rode back-to-back upsets to a nationwide title. The Buckeyes beat the chances in 2021 as nicely, profitable the Sugar Bowl as a No. 3 seed.
Tom Brady, bear in mind Josh McDaniels?
It’s been in the future since Raiders starter Derek Carr was benched, and the offseason quarterback carousel has already picked up steam. The juiciest Vegas idea? The GOAT himself.
Tom Brady sporting silver and black isn’t a novel concept. There was actually smoke round this concept in 2020 earlier than he went to Tampa Bay.
A number of years later, the Bucs are floundering whereas Las Vegas has the NFL’s main rusher in Josh Jacobs, boasts Darren Waller and Hunter Renfrow in the course of the sphere and flanks them with a top-five receiver in Davante Adams. Oh, and Brady’s longtime good friend Josh McDaniels is the top coach.
If not Vegas, could Robert Kraft convince New England’s most beloved son to return? And if not Brady, might McDaniels lure one other former understudy to relocate from San Francisco? It’ll be an offseason filled with QB motion.
Oklahoma finishes 6-7
The Sooners fell in the final minute of last night’s Cheez-It Bowl and can end with their first dropping season since 1998 in coach Brent Venables’ first 12 months. Pretty stunning final result for a crew ranked No. 6 at one level this season. Unless you’re Stewart Mandel, that’s. He pegged them to finish 7-5 back in August.
A-Rod’s newest cash transfer
Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore exercised their choice to buy the subsequent 20 % of the Timberwolves and Lynx. Lore and Rodriguez had till the tip of the day Saturday to tell majority proprietor Glen Taylor that they’ve exercised the choice as a part of their preliminary settlement in 2021 to purchase the groups in installments. They now may have till March 15 to shut the second 20 %, which might convey them to 40 % possession. The next step will be to purchase another 40 percent of the team; they’ve till Dec. 31, 2023 to train that choice.
Chicago all in favour of Big Ten’s Warren
Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren is among the finalists for the Bears’ vacant president and CEO job. Warren has interviewed at the very least twice with the Bears at Halas Hall. Chicago has been looking for a brand new president and CEO after Ted Phillips introduced his plans in September to retire on the finish of the 2022 season.
- With Golden State, Donte DiVincenzo has found his niche: as the middle child, writes Marcus Thompson.
- Would Derek Carr fetch a return for the Raiders? If so, here’s what the Commanders, Saints, Jets or Bucs could offer in a trade.
- Detroit isn’t a dangerous place where it’s unsafe to watch a basketball game, James Edwards writes, regardless of the continued narrative.
- Four-time Pro Bowler Joey Bosa has been designated to return, simply in time for the Chargers’ ailing cross rush.
- For WNBA gamers in Israel, this Ph.D. biology teacher is a tour information, video coordinator and superfan.
- Jayson Stark’s Strange But True sequence, half three: MLB’s weirdest injuries, wildest postseason moments and facts.
- How can Leeds benefit off the field from USMNT captain Tyler Adams ahead of 2026 World Cup?
- Assessing Coach Prime’s Colorado roster: What Pac-12 assistants mentioned about his job forward.
- “He’s playing football, we’re playing basketball”: Zion Williamson is on a one-of-a-kind path to greatness.
(Top picture: Mark J. Rebilas / USA Today)