The Star Wars franchise is increasing into the High Republic Era – and this is every part you have to know in regards to the books, comics, and exhibits.
Star Wars is exploring the High Republic Era in a daring new transmedia initiative. Lucasfilm Publishing has a historical past of blazing the path for the Star Wars franchise, respiratory new life into Star Wars again in 1991 and finally main George Lucas to return for the prequel trilogy. Now that the Skywalker saga is over, the books and comics are once more increasing Star Wars in a brand new course.
In 2020, rumors started to flow into a couple of mysterious “Project Luminous,” an initiative that was anticipated to open up a complete new time-period for Star Wars. This was finally revealed to be Star Wars: The High Republic, a transmedia initiative that may discover the galaxy roughly 200 years forward of Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace. The story is principally being instructed in a spread of comics and novels, and even a brand new vary of Star Wars Manga comics. What’s extra, there’ll even be a Disney+ TV sequence set on the tail finish of the High Republic period, Star Wars: Acolyte, though this appears to be set other than the primary initiative and as an alternative is just making the most of the model.
With that being stated, right here is every part we all know in regards to the High Republic to this point, together with the confirmed release schedule and what to anticipate from future Star Wars tales.
Star Wars: The High Republic Explained
When Obi-Wan Kenobi handed Luke Skywalker his father’s lightsaber within the first Star Wars movie, he instructed Luke it was “an elegant weapon for a more civilized time.” The High Republic is that “more civilized time,” an age when the Republic was sturdy and assured and the Jedi had been its guardians and peacekeepers. The Republic is pushing forward with a mission of “Great Works,” together with an enlargement into the Outer Rim.
One of those “Great Works” is the development of Starlight Station, a hyperspace beacon to assist navigate within the turbulent and treacherous Outer Rim territories. Unfortunately, as seen in Charles Soule’s Light of the Jedi and Claudia Gray’s Into The Dark, there are horrible threats lurking within the shadows out within the Galactic Rim. These embrace a marauding group of house Vikings referred to as the Nihil, who possess the know-how to govern hyperspace itself – and who’re tied to a horrific catastrophe that kicks off the story of Star Wars: The High Republic. But the Nihil could be the least of the threats dealing with the Jedi, as they come upon an historic ally of the Sith as effectively.
Star Wars: The High Republic is a multi-year initiative that’s damaged down into three phases:
- Phase One: Light of the Jedi
- Phase Two: Quest of the Jedi
- Phase Three: Trials of the Jedi
The first part started in January 2021, and can run for roughly two years; it has been sub-divided into three segments purely for ease of planning. This means the entire initiative could effectively proceed for as much as six years – and it’s certain to encourage numerous side-stories and artistic new ideas.
Star Wars: The High Republic Phase 1 Begins With The Light Of The Jedi
Phase 1 of Star Wars: The High Republic is centered on introducing the important thing characters and threats of the High Republic Era. It consists of:
- Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule, revealed on January 5, 2021. This kick-starts the complete initiative, introducing lots of the most important Jedi in addition to the Nihil. The first third of the e-book is occupied with the Great Disaster, demonstrating the sheer energy of the Jedi as they battle in opposition to not possible odds.
- A Test of Courage by Justina Ireland, revealed on January 5, 2021. This junior novel introduces Jedi Knight Vernestra Rwoh, a prodigy within the Force and one of many youngest to ever cross the Jedi Trials.
- The Great Jedi Rescue by Cavan Scott and Petur Antonsson, revealed on January 5, 2021. This is a young-readers’ e-book impressed by the opening chapters of Charles Soule’s Light of the Jedi.
- Into The Dark by Claudia Gray, revealed on February 2, 2021. This sends Padawan Reath Silas on a mission to the Outer Rim – one which will get caught up within the Great Disaster. He and his touring companions discover themselves stranded on what seems to be an deserted house station, and shortly uncover a terrifying new darkish aspect menace.
- In addition, Marvel Comics is publishing a High Republic ongoing sequence by Cavan Scott and Ario Anindito, whereas IDW’s The High Republic Adventures ongoing is by Daniel José Older and Harvey Tolibao. Marvel’s sequence started on January 6, 2021, whereas IDW’s launched on February 21, 2021.
Star Wars: The High Republic Phase 1 Continues From The Rising Storm
The second part of Star Wars: The High Republic builds on every part that has already been established, with the Jedi conducting a quest into Wild Space with a purpose to defeat a race known as the Drengir, historic allies of the Sith. In addition to the continuing comics by Marvel and IDW, it consists of:
- The Rising Storm by Cavan Scott, revealed on June 29, 2021. This continues the primary story from Light of the Jedi.
- Race to Crashpoint Tower by Daniel José Older, revealed on June 29, 2021. This middle-grade novel stars a Jedi with an uncommon Force connection to know-how.
- Out of the Shadows by Justina Ireland, revealed on July 22, 2021. This young-adult novel continues the story of Jedi Knight Vernestra Rwoh.
- The Monster of Temple Peak by Cavan Scott and Rachel Stott, revealed on August 11, 2021. This shall be an authentic graphic novel.
- Tempest Runner by Cavan Scott, revealed on August 31, 2021. This audio novel explores the Nihil, starring one in every of their lieutenants.
- The Edge of Balance by Justina Ireland, Shima Shinya, and Mizuki Sakakibara, September 7, 2021. This would be the first-ever Star Wars original Manga.
- Showdown on the Fair by George Mann and Petur Antonsson, revealed on October 5, 2021. This 8×8 storbook sees the Nihil assault the Republic Fair.
- Trail of Shadows, by Daniel José Older and David Wachter, revealed on October 6, 2021. This sees a Jedi and a detective team up to solve the murder of a Jedi Master.
Star Wars: The High Republic Phase 1 Continues From The Fallen Star
Lucasfilm has solely simply begun to verify releases that shall be a part of Star Wars: The High Republic part 3, together with:
- The Fallen Star by Claudia Gray, revealed on January 18, 2022. This will proceed the primary arc, and face the Jedi in opposition to their biggest menace.
- The Eye of the Storm by Charles Soule, revealed in January 2022. This will reveal the backstory of Marchion Ro, chief of the Nihil.
- Midnight Horizon by Daniel José Older, revealed in 2022.
- Mission to Disaster by Justina Ireland, revealed in 2022.
The High Republic Era seems to run to only a long time earlier than the prequel trilogy, and Lucasfilm Publishing has already launched a Chinese canon net novel known as The Vow of Silver Dawn by “His Majesty The King.” This stars a younger Jedi Padawan who’s separated from his Master and confronted with the truth of the darkish aspect. It was revealed from December 17, 2020, via to January 4, 2021, with Padawan Sean struggling a type of non secular disaster when his religion within the Force is tempted.
Star Wars: Acolyte
Finally, and most intriguingly, Lucasfilm has confirmed they’re engaged on a Disney+ TV sequence known as Star Wars: The Acolyte. This female-centric Star Wars TV present is has been described as “a mystery-thriller that will take viewers into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era.” Little has been revealed about Star Wars: The Acolyte so far, nevertheless it’s usually assumed to disclose the actions of the Sith that finally led to the autumn of the Jedi Order. It shall be fascinating to see how Star Wars: The Acolyte builds upon the mythology established through the transmedia mission, and bridges the gulf between these books and comics and the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
What Happened To Chris Tucker After The Rush Hour Movies
About The Author